England and Wales (2001)
Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2002)
Registered Foreign Lawyer, Singapore (2017)
University of London (LLB Honours)
Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent), University of Northumbria
Brian advises global and regional organisations on their IP strategies, including the commercialisation and licensing of IP assets and technology transfers. He acts for clients on intellectual property litigation, dispute resolution and enforcement in relation to patents, designs, trade marks and copyright. He has been involved in a number of the leading IP cases and has extensive trial, deal and multi-jurisdictional dispute coordination experience.
Brian’s regulatory practice includes designing and implementing anti-bribery, audit and compliance programmes. He has specific expertise in relation to investigations and enforcement actions initiated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
Brian acts for industry leaders across a range of sectors including pharmaceutical, healthcare and beauty, luxury, fast-moving consumer goods, and oil and gas.
With two decades of experience, Brian is regularly approached to provide boards and senior management with strategic counsel, helping these clients to reduce risk and achieve their commercial objectives.
Brian established LAW Partnership in January, 2019.
Brian’s expertise is recognised in global legal directories and guides.
Represented one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of fuels, engine oils and lubricants in a regional anticounterfeiting exercise which involved successful execution of raids across the region.
Representing one of the world’s largest security seal manufacturers in managing its global trademark and patent portfolio; previously worked on securing a permanent injunction and paid settlement sum in a successful patent infringement claim in Malaysia.
Representing a public company specializing in the administration of the rights for local and international song writers and publishers in Malaysia by advising and assisting to enforce its members’ rights against music users or retailers for breach of copyright license agreements and copyright infringement.
Representing one of the world's leading global music publishers in a potential copyright infringement lawsuit arising from the unauthorized use of the music publisher’s musical work, by assisting them in enforcing their existing rights of ownership towards their musical works from unauthorized use and commercialization by other parties.
Organised Malaysia’s first joint enforcement programme in a crackdown on syndicates of illegal providers of copyright Internet Protocol television (IPTV) content, where he led a team of enforcement officers from various agencies to a series of successful and highly publicised raids.
Developed an IP strategy for a global biopharmaceutical corporation focused on human health to conduct IP enforcement work targeting pharmacies, clinics and online sellers in Indonesia and Philippines.
Assisting one of the world’s largest manufacturers of consumer goods in conducting cross-border enforcement programmes to determine any and all presence of counterfeits in the Malaysian market, where counterfeiting is commonplace.
Acting for two of the world’s largest aesthetic and skin care brand name for more than a decade, advising on its IP branding and patent protection, and conducting successful and highlight published enforcement work throughout the region.
Successfully provided strategic advice on misconduct and the processes to be adopted by the client in acting against the targeted employees, which resulted in our client not being pursued for any constructive dismissal claims and the effective internal management of the employees.
Provided IP and pricing strategy advisory work to a multinational personal care products company.
- The Malaysian Bar Council, Member
- IP Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council, Past Chairperson
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Past Chairperson for the East Asia & Pacific Sub- Committee of the Anticounterfeiting Committee
- Licensing Executive Society International, Former Co-Chair Asia Pacific Committee
- Licensing Executive Society of Malaysia, Past President
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association, Member
- Malaysia IP Association Member
- Leader in Patent Publication World IP Review 2018
- Recognised for Enforcement, Patents, Litigation and Trademark Asia IP - IP Experts 2018
- WIPR Leaders World IP Review 2020
- Ranked Band 3 for Malaysia Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Notable Practitioner – Intellectual Property Asialaw Profiles and Leading Lawyers Awards 2020
- Litigation Star – Intellectual Property and Dispute Resolution, Malaysia Benchmark Litigation 2020
- Leader in Patent Publication World IP Review 2019
- Trade Mark Star, Malaysia Managing IP 2016 - 2017 & 2019 -2020
- Recommended Individual, Litigation and Transactions IAM Patent 1000 2018
- Recommended Individual, Patent Prosecution IAM Patent 1000 2016 & 2017
- Ranked Individual, Enforcement and Litigation World Trademark Review 1000 2016 & 2020